Feature film (over 40 minutes)
Film submission period
From April 24th to July 18th, 2023
Entrants are asked to carefully read and agree to the terms and conditions of the Submission Regulations for Animated Feature Film Competition before submitting works.
(1) Submissions must be animated films with a run time exceeding 40 minutes, including end credits (all animation techniques acceptable).
(2) Films must be works completed in or after 2021.
(3) Films with languages other than Japanese or English must have English subtitles at the time of submission. For films with Japanese, English subtitles must be provided if they pass the primary selection.
(4) The director or the producer of the film or the entrant must hold the right to screen the film submitted, and all rights to screen the work during the festival must have been secured.
(5) Entrants must obtain permission from rights holders for the music, existing characters and all other elements used in their films before submission. The festival office assumes no responsibility for copyright violations, compensation for damage or other claims from third parties.
(6) Films that have previously been submitted to the past editions of the festival will not be accepted.
The festival will elect International Jury members to judge the Feature Films. The International Jury may present the following awards as a result of deliberation during the festival. The jury may also present other awards including Jury Awards and Special Mentions.
|Award||Competition||Prize money/extra prizes|
|Grand Prix||Feature Competition||300,000 JPY|
The festival office may establish other awards decided by different criteria.
The festival office will invite a filmmaker or a producer who satisfies certain conditions by covering related costs as described below. The detail is notified of the details by email after the selection.
*Please note that depending on the spread of COVID-19, invitation conditions may be changed or may be canceled.
Conditions for invitation
A director or producer whose work has been selected for the International Competition or the Japan Competition and is able to attend the Award Ceremony to be held during the festival period (one person per film. We will announce the ceremony date in the notification of the results of the primary selection.).
Please note that it is compulsory to attend a talk session on any program held during your visit (ex. "Meet the Filmmakers").
If the condition is fulfilled, the festival will cover
(1) Part of round-trip flight costs (as par the Festival Office regulations)
(2) Accommodation during the festival (applicable only to hotels arranged by the Festival Office and only for one person)
(3) Part of meals during the festival (by meal coupon, as par with Festival Office regulations)
Deadline for Animated Feature Film Competition Entry has passed. Thank you for your Submission! Notification of the selection results will be announced in the end of September 2023.
The email address shown below can be used to request further information or ask questions about submissions.